Welcome Message

SINCE I AM HALF-BILINGUAL, I SELECTED THE TITLE OF THIS BLOG FROM A FRENCH TERM FOR MASTURBATION. WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER HERE ARE ESSENTIALLY RANDOM ORGASMS OF THOUGHT THAT HIT ME IN MOMENTS OF INSPIRATION. YES, SOMETIMES IT'S A BIT MESSY, BUT IT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL SO GOOD.

Friday, April 07, 2006

Mandisa Speaks to The Advocate


Since Mandisa was eliminated this week, I have lost nearly all interest in watching American Idol for the rest of the season, though I am sure I will continue watching simply out of habit. I'm sick of a music competition where the people who make it through are progressing more because of their good looks or blonde personality than for actual musical ability. Maybe that's why I like classical music so much....it's music for ugly people!

Anyway, Mandisa was, in my opinion, the most polished, able, and dead-on musician in the competition. Unlike "Didn't you sing that same song last week" Chris (who I would vote for if this was Boy Meets Boy, but not for his limited stylistic range of music), she could take on any style, any genre, and make it shine. She didn't have to change the song to make it fit one area of comfort, because she was comfortable in all the areas. But, because she has a big butt, and perhaps because she speaks up about her religious beliefs, she gets eliminated.

So, speaking of her religious beliefs, she has taken some heat for comments she made on the American Idol website concerning her appreciation for some author who has made anti-gay comments. Frankly, I never even heard about this "controversy" until today, so I'm not sure how big the controversy actually was, but I read the interview she (I must say bravely) gave to The Advocate today, and I have to say, I am frankly impressed with her.

If all those who held religious beliefs were to act as she does, there would be far less antipathy between the gay and religious communities. Speaking as someone who does find value in my personal faith, I long for more Mandisa's in churches in America. Because, realistically, I know that many religious people will never approve of homosexuality, but those whose faith (particularly speaking of the evangelical/Protestant faith of my background) is truly authentic would live in love and without judgment toward the gay community. They would state their disagreement then go to dinner with their gay friends, their differences understood but not interfering with their care and love for each other. It's a great interview from a lady who seems truly to be humble, firm in her beliefs, yet treating others with respect and dignity even when they do not agree with her.

1 comments:

Chargenda said...

I didn't like her interview. I mean, she answered the questions well with stickign to her beliefs, but she still sounds sort of bigoted. Anyone who says they would never play at a gay event is not going to get my consumer dollars. And yeah, her butt is HUGE!