Welcome Message

SINCE I AM HALF-BILINGUAL, I SELECTED THE TITLE OF THIS BLOG FROM A FRENCH TERM FOR MASTURBATION. WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER HERE ARE ESSENTIALLY RANDOM ORGASMS OF THOUGHT THAT HIT ME IN MOMENTS OF INSPIRATION. YES, SOMETIMES IT'S A BIT MESSY, BUT IT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL SO GOOD.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

It Was Simply a Desire to Travel....


I love the quote from Thomas Mann's Death in Venice:

It was simply a desire to travel; but it had presented itself as nothing less than a seizure, with intensely passionate and indeed hallucinatory force, turning craving into vision. His imagination, still not at rest from the morning's hours of work, shaped for itself a paradigm of all the wonders and terrors of the manifold earth, of all that it was now suddenly striving to envisage....Very well then--he would travel. Not all that far, not quite to where the tigers were. A night in the wagon-lit and a siesta of three or four weeks at some popular holiday resort in the charming south....
Tonight I got my photos taken for my new passport. My first passport expires on June 4. It's hard to believe that just 10 years ago I was preparing for my first trip ever out of the country, but now I have traveled extensively through nearly 20 countries on 3 continents. That even increased my desire to travel in my own country, and I have been to 43 of the US States, 40 of those within the past 10 years.

If you were to ask me what have been the most significant forces in my life in a positive sense to make me who I am today, there are a couple things that would quickly come to mind. First would be parents and a grandmother who showed me by example what it means to learn and change and not assume I know everything, to live by a strong moral code of unselfishness and giving to others, to not be afraid to admit I am wrong, and who, in spite of differences and disagreements (sometimes very sharp) have always loved me unfailingly. But outside of the direct influence of my family, perhaps no other force in my life has so radically affected my outlook on life than my international traveling.

For travel is not just about getting the snapshot from the top of the Eiffel Tower (spent weeks in Paris and never did that....the Arc de Triomphe view is far better). It's not about bringing back t-shirts and key chains and making family members sit through hours of slides of your trip to Thailand on New Year's Even when they would rather be just about anywhere else besides listening to you drone on and on about the....oh, sorry, I think some bitterness against my uncle just came out there.

Traveling internationally will give you a perspective on life and culture and politics and belonging that you cannot get any other way, I am convinced. This is something that starts from the moment you leave the airport of your home. There's a big difference from a Los Angeles-Chicago flight than a Chicago-Accra, Ghana flight. It took me 24 hours of travel with a layover in Europe to get to Africa, and suddenly, I started to comprehend how big the planet is and how small my little world had been to that point.

I saw my thinking transform from that scourge of Midwestern Mentality and American superiority to understanding how much I could learn from other cultures and peoples. I began to understand the subtle undercurrent of prejudice that ran through my beliefs and opinions. In Africa, I experienced something that very few American-born white guys have the privilege of experiencing, and that is to get a glimpse of what it is like to truly live as a minority. For there were times in Africa when I would go days without seeing another person with white skin. Admittedly, the Togolese people are very kind and welcoming to the "yovos" (white-skinned people), but just the feeling of being on the "outside" has never left me. And I think (and hope) it has helped me to be more sensitive and understanding since I have been back in the States.

One of the coolest things I have noticed which shows me that perhaps something fundamental changed in my mind from traveling is this: 10 years ago, without exception, every one of my close friends was a white American of western-European descent. Today, however, through no conscious choice or intention to make it this way, I have been blessed to have one of the most international group of friends of anyone I know. And stop chuckling, they are not all from Asia!

So, I am thankful for several things tonight. First, I am thankful for the privilege I have had to travel--simply for the amazing places I have seen and things I have experienced, from the historic grandeur of the Coliseum in Rome to the happily-endured heartburn from the little greasy fajita stand in Mexico to the silent awe at the breathtaking Cliffs of Moher in Ireland to the ingenuity, beauty, and hospitality shown to us at the mud castles of the Tam Berma people in Togo. Second, I am thankful for the way traveling has changed my perspective on the world, trusting it has made me into a better person. And finally, I'm so thankful that it's time for me to get a new passport so I can get rid of that picture with those huge glasses. What was I thinking?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thomas Mann???!!!

I just shot my wad all over your blog. Don't even get me started... too late! Death in Venice: arguably well of the most well-written books of the Twentieth Century. Did you know I wrote my undergrad thesis on Mann's Doctor Faustus? And then finished about a half dozen seminar papers on Venice, Magic Mountain, and Faustus in grad school.

You'd be amazed how directly related to Nietzsche he is--one of the major reasons why I gravitated towards his work in the first place. Of my three traditional literary heroes, Mann takes the top spot, followed by Faulkner and then Thomas Pynchon (Sophocles taking the non-traditional prize).

Took two classes solely on Mann (one when I was getting my literary studies degree in undergrad, the other a seminar course in grad / humanities)... studied him in a Weimar Germany course (wherein I also studied his brother Heinrich's and his gay son Klaus' works too). Klaus's book Mephisto was turned into a movie (won the Academy Award for foreign film) and directed by Istvan Szabo (Sunshine, Being Julia)... did an independent study on this Hungarian director... my Mann / Nietzsche professor was Hungarian and invited him to the University where I got to host and meet him for three days... AMAZING!

Anyway, sorry, I just get the biggest hard on when I see anyone reference Mann. Both Mountain and Faustus have consistently been on my top ten novels of all time. Death in Venice, however, is my sentimental favorite and when he was more closely aligned to Nietzsche than any point in his career (and then the Great Wars began and that changed everything for him, but more on that another time).

Okay, thanks for posting that quote! It really brightened my day :)

Chargenda said...

When did you go to Ghana? My ex was there for 9 months and was just in Chicago for a few days. You two should have chatted. He stayed in Accra for almost a year. Changed his life.

Michael said...

My first trip to Africa was in 1996, when I flew into Accra, Ghana. I spent a week there in Ghana, mostly in the village of Ho near Lake Volta. Then I spent a week in Togo, in the village of Kpalime, just across the border.

My second trip was in 1997, when I spent the entire summer in Togo, traveling almost the entire length of the country, but living most of the time in Kpalime or Kara.

My third trip was in 1998, when I once again spent the entire summer in Togo, this time almost exclusively in Kpalime, though I spent some time in the capital city of Lome as well.

And I will say without reservation, it changed my life. People ask me what it is like to be in Africa, in the places where you actually see the mud huts and such like are shown on National Geographic. I tell them that the look and feel of Africa is very much what you would expect having viewed such shows, but something significant changes which makes all the difference in the world. That is, instead of the people there being nameless faces a world away, the person in the picture is my friend Kossi whose mother died of malaria last year and whose younger sister and brother are dying of AIDS. Meanwhile, Kossi, though quite young, works long hours driving his little moto trying to help his father earn enough money to purchase medicine to make his siblings comfortable in their pain. Instead of pictures, they become people, friends. That's what is life-changing.

Sexbox said...

Wow. I am jealous. I never was able to travel growing up (we wuz po') and once I was in college any chances I had then were gone. It wasn't until about 2 years ago I I ventured outside of the midwest. I still can't travel much but it is at least possible. Either this winter or next year I am going somewhere outsiode of North America