Welcome Message

SINCE I AM HALF-BILINGUAL, I SELECTED THE TITLE OF THIS BLOG FROM A FRENCH TERM FOR MASTURBATION. WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER HERE ARE ESSENTIALLY RANDOM ORGASMS OF THOUGHT THAT HIT ME IN MOMENTS OF INSPIRATION. YES, SOMETIMES IT'S A BIT MESSY, BUT IT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL SO GOOD.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Inside Man


When I saw the trailer for Inside Man, I immediately thought it looked like a cool movie. Pretty much anything Denzel Washington is in I have loved, and Jodie Foster and Clive Owen are great actors as well. Then, I heard that Willem Dafoe, whom I enjoy, was in it, as well as the magnificent Christopher Plummer and Chiwetel Ejiofor, a relative newcomer who was fabulous in one of my favorite movies of last year, Serenity. The only red flag I saw was that Spike Lee was the director, but I figured he's a great director in spite of having sometimes directed films I had no interest in. But with a cast like that, I had high hopes.

And I definitely was not disappointed. Hands-down this is the best movie I have seen this year. Any fear of it being a tired bank robbery plot is quickly dispelled, and the entire storyline is fascinating and admirably believable. The use of flash-forwards to assist in the plot development is well-done, and there are some perfectly brilliant moments throughout. The cast is superb, with only Dafoe's character being somewhat uninteresting (though more due to his function than to his acting, which was fine). I highly recommend this movie, and it is likely it will be one of the few movies of the year that I will actually go back to see a second time in the theater.

2 comments:

Chargenda said...

huh. who knew. I had no interest in seeing this. I will have to check it out

Michael said...

Admittedly, one of things I like most about a movie is when it makes me think, usually by one of two ways:
(1) Movies that engage me so much during the movie because I am trying to guess what is happening. These movies, of course, only work well when the ending actually is satisfying (some of my favorite examples would be The Game, The Spanish Prisoner, Arlington Road, and now Inside Man.
(2) Movies that I am drawn to think about for days or weeks after the movie because of the power of the message or story (Brokeback Mountain and The Power of One being my two favorite examples there).

Inside Man won't be one you will spend lots of time thinking about any sort of message, but you will walk away very satisfied that a somewhat complex plot (and the complex motivations of the characters in the movie) works itself out so cleanly and effectively.