Welcome Message

SINCE I AM HALF-BILINGUAL, I SELECTED THE TITLE OF THIS BLOG FROM A FRENCH TERM FOR MASTURBATION. WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER HERE ARE ESSENTIALLY RANDOM ORGASMS OF THOUGHT THAT HIT ME IN MOMENTS OF INSPIRATION. YES, SOMETIMES IT'S A BIT MESSY, BUT IT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL SO GOOD.

Monday, March 06, 2006

Crash and Burn



Ok, so along with every gay guy in the world, I am prepared to storm the gates of the Kodak Theater in protest for the denial of the clearly-superior Brokeback Mountain for Best Picture, which award was instead given to Crash. But then, as I pause for a moment, I think three points are worthy of note:

(1) Heath Ledger is still way hotter than Matt Dillon. No award will ever change that.

(2) Crash is actually a great movie and would have been my runaway best picture choice had Brokeback not been part of the picture this year.

(3) The Academy is consistent about one thing....consistently picking the movies that are NOT the best as Best Picture. Just look at some of the past selections. For instance, does anyone really think that Gladiator was the best picture produced in all of Hollywood in 2000 (with the most over-rated actor in Hollywood as its lead role)? Or Shakespeare in Love beating out Life is Beautiful (one of the greatest movies ever) and Saving Private Ryan in 1998. And have you actually met anyone in your life outside the Academy who thought Dances with Wolves was good for anything except its amazing score? And one final word: The Silence of the Lambs. I rest my case.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Braveheart sucked and was homophobic. The whole movie loked like one big mosh pit at a Pearl Jam movie--too much plaid, for my tastes.

Chargenda said...

Oh, well, I agree that Brokeback should have won. But not that Crash was better than any of the other best pic nominees. And Silence of the Lambs is awesome.

Michael said...

Silence of the Lambs is one of those movies that I guess I will never understand why people like it so much. But I will concede that there are plenty of people who disagree with me on that one, so perhaps I am incorrect on that. Not about Crash though! ;)

Chargenda said...

Crash's issues have been played out before. And the format was done before. Watch Magnolia or Shortcuts, people!