Welcome Message

SINCE I AM HALF-BILINGUAL, I SELECTED THE TITLE OF THIS BLOG FROM A FRENCH TERM FOR MASTURBATION. WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER HERE ARE ESSENTIALLY RANDOM ORGASMS OF THOUGHT THAT HIT ME IN MOMENTS OF INSPIRATION. YES, SOMETIMES IT'S A BIT MESSY, BUT IT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL SO GOOD.

Friday, October 13, 2006

A Day of Special Memories



Today I am going to take a day off from posting pictures of hot guys, though this post contains the photo of one of the beautiful ones who has impacted my life. One year ago today, on October 13, 2005, my boyfriend Alfred, one of the most loving and gentle people I have ever known, took his own life in a moment of deep despair. I wrote about his passing a while back on this blog, and you can read that post by clicking on his picture above.

The year that has passed since last October 13 seems like a lifetime...or perhaps a few days. As one of my blogging friends expressed recently, sometimes loss can make you feel that something as frivolous as pictures of hot guys is silly or even inappropriate, and it's true I have days when I just don't feel like doing anything except feel bad (though thankfully those are becoming less and less frequent).

But I am learning to look at loss from a different angle. Of course I miss Alfred, and of course today is a melancholy day for me. But it is a day in which I remember his amazingly full adventuresome life. I focus on his wonderful 36 years in which he infused his enthusiasm and love into the lives of so many he touched, rather than focusing on the few days surrounding his untimely death.

When someone passes, it is traditional to give gifts to those closest to him. But when we lose someone in death, we receive gifts that last far longer than the flowers and cards of sympathy. I have received the gift of appreciating the amazing network of love and support of family and friends that was always surrounding me but which I had never noticed until tragedy struck. I have been given the gift of gaining a new perspective on the importance of grabbing life for all it is worth and never looking back with regret. And I have been blessed with an experience that, although the pain has been unimaginable at times, has changed me at my very core so that now, as I am emerging from the darkest depths and find that I am still able to breathe, I will be able to help others in a way I never could have before. When I say to someone who has experienced deep loss, "I understand," it will carry new weight. And I trust that I will be able to share hope when I find someone who is in that dark place where Alfred was and perhaps even help someone to see that suicide is always a permanent answer to a temporary problem.

Suicide affects millions of people every year. In America, every 18 minutes someone dies by suicide. And it affects the gay community at a higher rate than the rest of the population. This is something each of us should think about. For those in America, a great place to educate yourself concerning this problem is the website for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. For those friends in other parts of the world, many countries have similar organizations that I'm sure you can find by doing a Google search. It's a worthwhile investment of your time and thought, I promise.

So, thanks to everyone for bearing with me as I share a personal moment. I hope it will not be a downer to you but rather perhaps it will encourage you to hug your loved ones a little tighter, to write that letter to diffuse the anger in a tense friendship, or to call the person you know who needs a simple word of kindness. Don't live today in a way that will produce regret tomorrow!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am grateful for your words and the friend that you are, michael.

Anonymous said...

Bonjour Michael
J'ai une pensée d'amitié pour toi
Sylvain montreal Québec

Unknown said...

…always remember, too, that the greatest honor that you can give Alfred is to impart upon others that newfound knowledge and wisdom, and now, experience. Life is truly what we make of it; we may not have been given choices in certain circumstances, but we most certainly have the choice of how we impact the end result.

Sincerely,
Robbie

Michael said...

Jimmy...
I wouldn't be at the good place I am today without you....and I'm not being melodramatic when I say that.

Michael said...

Sylvain....
Je vous remercie. C'est vraiment gentil de ta part. (Et pardonnez-moi pour mon mauvais français! J'ai étudié le français en Belgique il y a cinq ans).

Michael said...

Robbie....
Thanks for the good and thoughtful words....hopefully I will continue to work hard at making good choices.

Anonymous said...

This is truly the most touching blog entry I've ever read. Your love for Alfred glows throughout.

Now if I can dry my tears and pull myself together, I can get back to work.

This is my first visit but it surely won't be my last.

Dennis

Unknown said...

Dennis...
Thanks for the kind words. Sorry to get you all tear-eyed during work tho! :-)