Welcome Message

SINCE I AM HALF-BILINGUAL, I SELECTED THE TITLE OF THIS BLOG FROM A FRENCH TERM FOR MASTURBATION. WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER HERE ARE ESSENTIALLY RANDOM ORGASMS OF THOUGHT THAT HIT ME IN MOMENTS OF INSPIRATION. YES, SOMETIMES IT'S A BIT MESSY, BUT IT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL SO GOOD.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Kinky Boots


Very seldom (in fact never before that I can recall) have I ever seen a movie knowing absolutely nothing about it beforehand than the title. However, that's exactly what happened Sunday evening when I went with a good friend of mine to see Kinky Boots.

Now, I'm totally an Apple.com Trailers whore, so it's amazing to me that I had not seen the trailer for the movie at some point. When my friend told me on Friday (as we left another movie we had watched together) that he wanted to see Kinky Boots, I thought he was joking. But then on Sunday, after we had a nice late lunch of Vietnamese Pho soup, he again suggested that we go see the movie. I asked what it was about, and he said it had something to do with a shoe factory.

So, being the agreeable person that I am, I consented to go. And I am so glad I did! This was one of the most fun and entertaining movies I have seen this year. The first pleasant surprise of the movie was finding out that it starred Chiwetel Ejiofor, who is quickly becoming an actor that I love. He appeared in another favorite movie of mine this year, Inside Man, and he was great in his role as the bounty hunter in Serenity (also a must-see movie). But this is the movie in which he shines above the others. His portrayal of "Lola", a flamboyant drag queen, is hilarious and, when necessary, very moving.

The movie is the account (apparently drawn from true events) of a very formal, traditional shoe company in Northhampton, England, that ends up producing fancy shoes for transvestites in an attempt to keep from having to close its doors during hard times. It's a film about overcoming prejudice and learning to accept oneself and others. It's a wonderful story of the potential for growth and change and the power of self-sacrifice to inspire others.

Sometimes having no expectations is helpful, because you are less likely to be disappointed. So perhaps you will want to take my recommendation with the realization that I went to the movie somewhat expecting to be bored, so the movie exceeded that easily. Still, I think that the movie will hold up even to high hopes, and I am glad to recommend it.

And I definitely won't question my friend the next time he suggests a movie I haven't heard of.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i liked that actor in dirty pretty things where i first saw him. i hate audrey tatou now because she's in that lame ass da vinci code movie. whatevs.