Welcome Message

SINCE I AM HALF-BILINGUAL, I SELECTED THE TITLE OF THIS BLOG FROM A FRENCH TERM FOR MASTURBATION. WHAT YOU WILL DISCOVER HERE ARE ESSENTIALLY RANDOM ORGASMS OF THOUGHT THAT HIT ME IN MOMENTS OF INSPIRATION. YES, SOMETIMES IT'S A BIT MESSY, BUT IT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL SO GOOD.

Friday, February 16, 2007

I Might Take Some Heat For This...



OK, so I feel like stirring up a bit of trouble this morning. I predict, with confidence, that in the (hopefully) not-too-distant future, the idea of an anthropogenic global warming crisis will be seen to be grossly overstated, if not outright false and foolish. Whether or not this happens before an Oscar and Nobel Prize are wasted on Al Gore may be debatable, but I look forward to seeing the entertainment as the lemmings begin to back-pedal and try to save face when the politico-science of anthropogenic global warming gives way to fact.

As US President John Adams wrote in 1770, in the days when he was a lawyer in Boston, "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."



Now, I'm sure that my statements here have angered many, so feel free to fire away at me in the comments if you feel the urge. Don't worry; I can take it. Just do me a favor and bookmark this page or my e-mail address so that you can remember where to send your apology note when you realize I am correct.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm interesting... never knew you thought this about the global warning crisis... But me thinks most people who come by this blog probably won't know enough about the topic nor be able to support their position through emperical data to have a strong enough opinion about ur post... but i would like to hear more about why you think this way.

Anonymous said...

I am a little troubled by your post because I know that there are a lot of people out there who feel the same way. I wish you would mention why you think the crisis is overstated, as many top scientists in the world have come to a similar conclusion.

I sure hope that you are correct on this. And I would be more than happy to send you an apology note, or do whatever you want! (Not that) But if you are wrong, you may not be able to do the same.

Michael said...

A.Y.,
Sure, I'd be glad to chat about it sometime.

Michael said...

Boon,
I didn't put much detail on here, and that was definitely a conscious decision.

I have to approach the topic of global warming as I would any topic that goes into a field of which I have little or no expertise. I am not a scientist or meteorologist. But, by the same token, neither is Al Gore.

When we examine an unfamiliar subject, we have to go to those who are indeed the experts and see what they say. However, this is a topic on which there is a large amount of disagreement. So which experts do we rely on, and which do we dismiss? All we can do is try to read and give a fair hearing to a solid range of opinions on the topic.

My personal examination has led me to believe that the concept of an anthropogenic global warming crisis is at best overstated; at worse, outright foolishness. But for me to try to lay that out in a manner that would have any coherence or be of any benefit to the readers of this blog would require a level of research and intensity that I just don't have the time for unfortunately.

One possible place to look for articles from this viewpoint is: http://www.canadafreepress.com/global-warming.htm. Perhaps that will show a different perspective than we often here these days. I can't speak for everything on that site, but the few articles I have read seem to be thoughtful and well-reasoned.

Hopefully that's helpful!

Anonymous said...

I heard a speaker on Book TV this weekend who said the scientists who have thought the crisis were over-stated are in the minority, and that climate science was not their area of expertise.

The majority of scientists who study global warming who are sounding the alarm are experts who know the facts.

The facts are overwhelmingly that we have a big problem humans created by digging up fossil fuel and burning it into the atmosphere for a century or two.

Climate change is overwhelmingly real. We see more and more evidence every day. But you can join President Bush and his petroleum business cronies who want to bury their heads in the sand until it's too late and spread disinformation.